Thursday, December 13, 2012

New Life for Old Picture Frames


 
I yanked a couple more old picture frames out of the big cardboard box in the shed and had fun decorating them.
 
 
 With the small one I stripped all the old varnish away, which wasn't hard to do because it was mostly peeled off to begin with. Then I used a sponge to apply different shades of paint, being sure to leave some of the wood showing through between the blotches of color. Once that was dry I gave it two coats of polyurethane to brighten up the wood areas and give it a nice shine.

The larger frame wasn't as old or in as bad of shape...just drab. I roughed up the old finish with some sandpaper, cleaned the dust off and repainted it with enamel paint that I had left over from another project. I painted some contrasting doodles around the whole frame at intervals. Then I glued rolled paper squares, made from colorful magazine pages, side by side all along the flat area on the front of the frame. Lastly I applied two layers of polyurethane to the entire frame and then added an extra coat to the paper squares to be sure they had a nice hard finish.

Now...what to put in them...?     
 


No comments:

Post a Comment